I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. You don’t have to use these links, but I am grateful to you if you do. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and other banks are advertising partners of this site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same).
Early in the year Chase had an initial offer of 120,000 points with an IHG credit card. That was really impressive — the standard offer used to be 60,000 and we’d get excited when it bumped up to 80,000.
At the beginning of the year though they came out with a 120,000 point offer and that blew out the doors, but that offer has been gone for several months.
Now Chase has done two things. First, a best-ever points offer for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card to earn 125,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
And second they’ve added an additional piece to the offer. For the first 12 months you have the card you earn really generously for your spend:
- For the first 12 months this card will earn 25 points per dollar at IHG hotel properties. That strikes me as much stronger earn than any other card at any other hotel chain.
- And for the first 12 months it will earn 4 points per dollar on all other spend which makes the card worth using.
After that the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card reverts to its normal 10 points per dollar at IHG, 2 points at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants, and 1 point everywhere else.
Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur
The card comes with:
- Platinum status
- A free night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide.
- A free reward night on points stays of 4 or more nights. That’s better than the ‘5th night free’ from other chains, and amounts to a 25% discount on four night award stays.
- Global Entry or TSA Precheck fee credit (up to $100 every 4 years) as well.
IHG Rewards Club Bonus points can be used for stays at InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Kimpton, Holiday Inn, Indigo and related brands.
The card is worth getting for the initial bonus. It’s worth keeping for 4th night free on points redemptions and the annual free night which is worth well more than the card’s $89 annual fee.
Anecdotally my sense is that this is one of the easiest Chase travel rewards cards to be approved for, although it now appears to be subject to 5/24 so if you have fewer than 5 new cards opened in the last 24 months definitely consider this one.
Notably you are eligible for this card even if you have the old version of the IHG credit card. And it’s really valuable to get this one even if you have the older one, since the fourth night free when redeeming award nights with this card is stackable with the 10% rebate on award redemptions from the legacy product.