I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Doctor of Credit reports that you can sign up for a new Citibank CitiGold (their top tier) checking account with promo code 4YQY4RMDTT and receive 40,000 Citi ThankYou Rewards points for making one qualifying bill payment for two consecutive months.
The offer is available through September 30th.
- There’s no hard pull of your credit, just a soft pull, when signing up for the account.
- You can generally only receive a checking account signup bonus from Citi every two years.
- Since they value ThankYou points under this offer at a penny apiece, it shouldn’t generate a 1099 to the IRS.
- There’s a $30 a month fee, which would be worth paying until the bonus posts, but you can avoid it with a $50,000 deposit or $100,000 in linked Citi accounts.
You get a $100 annual fee credit on the Citi Prestige card which should post automatically, even if you’ve recently paid the annual fee!
- The awesome $450 annual fee card that’s worth literally thousands becomes a $350 annual fee card.
- You get the $250 airline credit (works on airline tickets) and $100 Global Entry credit. Already have Global Entry? Buy it for someone else.
- It comes with American Airlines lounge access and a Priority Pass Select card that includes free guest lounge visits.
- Plus free golf and fourth night of hotel stays free
And that doesn’t even mention the 50,000 point signup bonus for the card after $3000 in purchases within 3 months.
Citi Prestige and Citi ThankYou Premier ThankYou points transfer to:
- Air France-KLM
- Asia Miles
- Etihad Airways Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles
- Hilton HHonorsTM
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
The $100 fee credit on Prestige helps offset fees on the account if you aren’t in a position to make qualifying deposits.
And you can earn miles for your initial deposit, too because Citi will take a credit card for that deposit. Barclays cards code those deposits as purchases. Don’t use a Citi card, and they don’t take American Express. Doctor of Credit suggests this works with Chase cards, I’m not so sure (although it used to). You can generally make as big a deposit as your credit line allows. (And it’s good practice to set your card’s cash advance limit to zero, just in case.)
If you don’t want the ThankYou points, Doctor of Credit also tells us that a signup bonus of up to 30,000 American Airlines miles for a new checking account is also back using promo code 4YQY4RMDRM. The offer is available through September 30.
You need an American Airlines co-brand credit card to be eligible for the American signup bonus.
To qualify for 30,000 miles you need to open a Citigold account, make a debit card purchase of $750, and make at least one qualifying bill pay for two consecutive months.