I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
The Citi Premier® Card is a great tool for frequent flyers to earn points quickly, and those points transfer to some great travel partners.
What’s new is that the initial bonus offer has just been increased. On top of earning 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening, there’s a limited-time addition: earn a total of 10 ThankYou® Points per $1 spent on hotel, car rentals, and attractions (excluding air travel) booked on the Citi Travel℠ portal through June 30, 2024.
That’s more than a year of substantially elevated earning through their travel portal as of this writing, and there’s no cap.
It’s a good card for ongoing spend, too:
- 3 Points per $1 spent at Gas Stations, Air Travel and Other Hotels
- 3 Points per $1 spent at Restaurants and Supermarkets
- 1 Point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
You can of course redeem points for gift cards or travel and whatnot but points can be transferred to a variety of frequent flyer programs, including:
- SkyTeam: Aeromexico Club Premier, Air France KLM Flying Blue, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- oneworld: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Star Alliance: Avianca LifeMiles, EVA Air Infinity MileageLands, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles
- Non-alliance: Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, JetBlue TrueBlue
- Hotels: Wyndham Rewards, Choice Privileges (1000 -> 2000!)
There’s also an Annual Hotel Savings Benefit: once per calendar year you can receive $100 off a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) booked through thankyou.com.
Some of you will take full advantage of this new limited time offer. And some of you will pair it with a no annual fee Citi Double Cash card to earn 2x on the spending that this card does not bonus, and move those points into your Citi Premier Card account.