News notes from around the interweb:
- Mayor of Barcelona wants to end all flights to Madrid in favor of high speed rail, as an environmental measure.
- 51% off Singapore Airlines awards ‘spontaneous escapes’ discounted more than the usual 30%.
- TSA-friendly bloody mary mix. If a product could theoretically exist, it probably already does.
- Tourists actually did this at Machu Picchu and were arrested for it.
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles averages the cost of a mixed-cabin award so if you add a business class (or even economy) segment to the end of a first class award that actually brings the price down. This creates interesting opportunities for throwaway segments on awards (if you aren’t checking bags) to get a flight for less, similar to how Avianca LifeMiles works.