I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
News and notes from around the interweb:
- Alitalia’s board has approved a new business plan to reduce costs (including 2000 layoffs and 30% cuts to pilot salaries) while increasing revenue
and distributing a pony to each shareholder. They still must present this plan to the government and get labor unions to agree, with new funding for the carrier conditioned on interminable strikesacceptance.
They plan to trim their Airbus A320 fleet from 78 planes down to 20, add seats, and start imposing new fees on short- and medium-haul flights. They plan to increase flying from Milan Linate (which to date the government hasn’t permitted) and add new transaltantic destinations (which their joint venture with Delta and Air France hasn’t permitted). Everyone click your heels together 3 times…
Copyright: uskarp / 123RF Stock Photo
- Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles used to offer address options for ‘North Cyprus’ and ‘South Cyprus’ since Turkey claims control over the North of the country, the dispute over Cyprus having been a sticking point in Turkey’s attempted past entry into the European Union. Claiming sovereignty over an EU member state kind of gets in that way of that.
Under the post-coup Erdoğan government, the airline and everything else in the country has been increasingly politicized. Hence renaming the Istanbul business class lounge the “July 15 Heroes of Democracy Lounge.”
Now it appears that Miles & Smiles has replaced ‘North Cyprus’ with Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and has removed the option of South Cyprus entirely. One member from Cyprus reports “I am being told by [Turkish] that my address details are incomplete and no valid member address exists for me.”
- How To Check Your Credit Card Application Status With Each Issuer
- What’s grosser than gross on a Delta flight? (HT: Rene’s Points
- New hotel run by robots opens outside Tokyo (HT: Alan H.)
- The single purpose lobbying entity for Delta, American, and United meant to spur protectionism against Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar (the Orwellianally-named “Partnership for Fair and Open Skies” which wants to place limits on Open Skies treaties initiated and signed by the U.S.) took out a full page ad in the New York Times calling out Emirates for launching a new Newark – Athens flight and calling on the President to protect American jobs (HT: Chase). This is both idiotic and hypocritical grandstanding.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® Earn 65,000 AAdvantage miles.