News and notes from around the interweb:
- 20% bonus converting Marriott points to Aeroplan through May 31. Mileage transfers are a really strong use of Marriott points (that’s the only hotel program for which this is true, and even stronger with consistent devaluations of Marriott redemptions for hotel stays). Add a 20% bonus to a great program and if you have specific needs for Star Alliance awards this could be useful.
- An Alaska Airlines flight attendant is suing her airline after being fired, she says, for posting disagreement with the company’s push for federal LGBTQ+ protections. The company had invited employee comment. Alaska Airlines hasn’t offered a response to the lawsuit.
Woke Alaska is a long way from the airline that placed prayer cards on meal trays for 30 years (they stopped offering prayer cards in coach when they ceased coach meals in 2006 and eliminated prayer cards in first class in 2012. The idea actually came to Alaska in the early 1980s from Continental Airlines.
- Man raised money from investors to rehab hotels in disrepair, used the money himself instead the hotels were foreclosed on and investors lost their money.
- Southwest Snack Queen
— ANTIFA Cat Herder (@GMeteor2020) May 20, 2022
- The House passed legislation giving TSA workers full civil service protections though it’s hard enough to move out bad actors. Six years ago 20,000 TSA employees had been accused of misconduct, half of those multiple times. The measure would give TSA workers an average 30% pay bump.
- The hotel merch era is upon us