Australia business class awards are some of the toughest around. That was true before the pandemic. It’s even more true now, with flights full generally and with not all service restored yet. For instance, American Airlines isn’t flying to Sydney again yet. Add in that Australians were banned from even leaving their country for a year and a half, and demand has been unprecedented.
I managed to score Air Canada business class saver seats for my trip Down Under in June, but that was one of a couple of times when availability seemed to pop up as a glitch. If you want to travel in a premium cabin to Australia it is very very hard right now. But there is one way. And some of you will find this amazing.
Fiji Airways has great award availability right now, February – June 2023. This award space was first spotted by Thrifty Traveler‘s premium airfare deal alert service.
- Los Angeles – Fiji and San Francisco – Fiji
- Fiji – Sydney, Melbourne, and Auckland, New Zealand
That means connecting on the way to Australia, but you can also book the trip with a stopover in Fiji! Alaska Airlines doesn’t even charge extra miles for this.
Here’s February availability for two passengers from Los Angeles to Nadi, Fiji though note that some dates have more than 2 business class award seats available.
Here’s availability for two out of San Francisco, a flight that only operates 3 times a week.
And Nadi, Fiji to Sydney for 2:
Nadi to Auckland:
Consider flying Los Angeles to Fiji, stopping over, and then traveling to Melbourne – and booking a return from Sydney.
Ways to book this:
- Alaska Airlines: 55,000 miles each way and a free stopover (even on a one way award), and they’ll include an Alaska Airlines connecting flight to San Francisco or Los Angeles in the award if saver space is available
- American Airlines: 80,000 miles each way, whether to Fiji or to Australia. If you stop over in Fiji it is 80,000 miles to get there and then 30,000 miles to Australia/New Zealand. American will including domestic connecting flights in both the U.S. (American/Alaska) and in Australia (Qantas) at this price, provided that the origin and destination cities have a published Fiji Airways routing.
- Bilt Rewards: transfer points to American
- Capital One, Citibank, American Express: transfer points to Qantas which charges 82,000 miles each way
Half of Fiji Airways flights out of LAX are operated by an Airbus A350 with lie flat (Collins Aerospace Super Diamond) business seats. Their Airbus A330 business seat is angled. Some of their regional flights from Fiji to Australia and New Zealand are operated by 737 MAXs (these flights are short) and others by A330s, while once a week they’re currently running an A350 to Sydney.
For this to be available in February is especially spectacular.
[…] of the hat to View from the Wing) […]