When Alaska Airlines acquired Virgin America, the federal government required dropping several codeshares with American. Alaska is growing and they aren’t allowed to partner as closely with American as planned.
Alaska has already broken up with long-time frenemy Delta which had attacked the Seattle-based airline in its home market by building up a competitor hub.
Now their relationship with American is more or less falling apart at the end of the year, with some components surviving into the new year.
Changes Coming for American Airlines AAdvantage Members
Effective January 1:
- American will only award miles on Alaska Airlines flights booked as American Airlines codeshares.
- American will only award elite status credit (qualifying miles, segments, and dollars) on Alaska Airlines flights booked as American Airlines codeshares.
- American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines.
The partnership will continue to award miles and status credit on American Airlines codeshares.
And American AAdvantage will still allow mileage redemption on Alaska Airlines flights. American Airlines Admirals Club members will also still have access to Alaska Airlines lounges.
Changes Coming for Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members see similar changes except that they will still earn miles on all American Airlines international flights codeshare or not.
- Alaska Airlines will only award miles and status credits on American domestic flights booked as Alaska codeshares, however members earn on all American international flights.
- Alaska Airlines elites lose elite benefits on American Airlines.
- Alaska Mileage Plan redemption prices on American are changing as well.
Some award levels for redemption on American Airlines international flights will be increasing, and off-peak pricing for Central and South America, and Asia will be eliminated. On the other hand, some premium cabin award levels to Hawaii and within the U.S. will be reduce
Here are the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan award chart changes for travel on American: