Bamboo Airways is a Vietnamese carrier that launched with its first flight two years ago, based in Hanoi and offers service to Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, as well as domestic services using a fleet of Airbus narrowbodies, Boeing 787s, and large Embraer regional jets.
The airline plans an IPO in the U.S. and San Francisco flights this fall. They have planned several European destinations (postponed due to the pandemic) and just got access to London Heathrow as well.
Now they’re offering a Bamboo Airways status match for elites in any airline’s program that’s part of a major world alliance, up to their top tier, and they aren’t requiring any flights in order to get it. Status matches are a great way to attract lucrative customers for an airline. (HT: Executive Traveller)
Bamboo Airways Boeing 787 Business Class Cabin
According to the airline’s announcement all you need to do for a Bamboo Airways status match is,
- Join the program
- Submit a status match request form by June 30, 2021 with scan or photo of your current elite membership card or account screenshot and an image of a government-issued ID or passport.
- Wait 7-10 business days for processing, and direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You don’t need to fly in order to receive elite status. And they’ll match tiers as follows:
- Gold to Star Alliance silver, oneworld Ruby, or SkyTeam elites and offers business class check-in; priority seat choice, baggage, and boarding privileges; 5kg extra checked baggage.
- Diamond to oneworld Sapphire and adds business class lounge access; 10kg extra checked baggage; operational upgrades
- First to Star Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, SkyTeam Elite Plus and adds priority security and customs; lounge guest privileges; and 20kg extra free checked baggage.
Bamboo Airways Boeing 787 Business Class Seat
By not requiring any flights, offering a straight Bamboo Airways status match rather than a challenge, Bamboo is cashing in on the insight that smaller airlines benefit more from matches than challenges. Newer programs or those without extensive partnerships and lounges don’t have as much to offer and don’t have built-in costs for products they’re delivering (like a lounge network). Customers like straight matches better, but they can be expensive if customers are just using it to gain lounge access.
When would the Bamboo matched status expire?
The form requires “Detailed Vietnamese Address”.
Bamboo also send email communications in Vietnamese despite asking what language I wanted to use.
Gary – do you know if this applies to anyone other than residents of Vietnam? See the comment about needing a “detailed address in Vietnam” when completing the match request. That is a question on the status match request form.