- That’s great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, an aeroplane, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn
World serves its own needs, don’t misserve your own needs
… Feeling pretty psyched
… It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine
Growing up I was told that REM’s It’s the End of the World as We Know It was inspired by Michael Stipe’s brother, who was a debater at the University of Georgia and partners with Ralph Reed who would go on to become a prominent political activist and Christian Coservative. The song involves a “plan-counterplan debate.”
The lyrics include,
A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives, and I decline
That story may be apocryphal. But it has truthiness.
But some things have changed on this blog administratively. I hope it’s as smooth a transition as possible. The burden should be 99.5% on me, and hopefully not more than 0.5% on you as a reader.
- You may have experienced some technical issues reaching the blog this week, or commenting. Those appear to be solved. Thank you for your patience.
- The website address for this blog remains www.ViewFromTheWing.com however that redirects to a slightly different place … viewfromthewing.com
- Redirects should be in place properly, everything should have been moved over, I apologize if that’s not the case. But emails, RSS feed, everything I’m aware of appears to be working.
- I’m also experiencing major problems with the email address associated with the blog. My old Yahoo email address has given me major issues. I apologize if you’ve sent me a recent email that has gone unresponded to. That is just not my way. I make a point of trying to respond to every question I get. If you’ve emailed me, I think things got stuck in the Yahoo account.
- So I now have gary -at- viewfromthewing.com and that seems to be working much better! Please update your email address books and reach out to me at that address going forward. I will update the blog elsewhere to show that e-mail. I should be able to reply to you much more quickly that way.
Again, thank you for your patience.
- Six o’clock, TV hour, don’t get caught in foreign tower
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn
..It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!
SUCH a generation X’er. 🙂 I can relate.
Is it just me, or does the “end of the world as we know it and I feel fine” sound a lot like your points strategy?
Why has the web address changed from boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing to viewfromthewing.com? Any reason for the change to domain?
Well, if you keep quoting REM song lyrics, you can pitch as many credit cards as you’d like. 🙂
I actually first got the travel bug while writing music stories for my college newspaper. Sometime around 1982, we travelled to the Carolinas to report on this up-and-coming band from Athens, GA with a new sound. REM was playing a high school gym, and I shot a few rolls of black and white pics (imagine!) with my Konica SLR camera. After the concert, we “interviewed” (hung out with) the band in the high school cafeteria. That’s pretty how the whole “alt rock” scene started — with college kids getting into it. BTW, we also thought this young woman named Madonna had talent, but she blew us off and we never met her.
@Grant the site was split out onto its own separate install of WordPress
R.E.M., Peter Gabriel, The Clash and The Talking Heads. Don’t make em like that any more.
So how do I search your blog now…? 🙂 If I recall there was a header before that allowed me to do a search within just your blog or across all of BoardingArea.
@Mike – the search box should return next week, I’ve flagged that issue and apologize for the inconvenience. You can of course search the site over at google (“site:viewfromthewing.com search term search term”)