I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Citi ThankYou Rewards is offering a one-third bonus on transfers to Hilton HHonors through February 8.
View from the Hilton Colombo, Sri Lanka
Hilton points are generally worth half a cent apiece. I value Citi points at 1.6 cents each. Getting two Hilton points per ThankYou point means transferring points at a value of a penny. Not. A. Good. Deal. More often than not you’re better off just using Citi points to straight up buy travel. But even that’s not the best use of points in my opinion.
ThankYou points from a Citi Prestige or Citi ThankYou Premier account transfer to:
- Air France-KLM
- Asia Miles
- Etihad Airways Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles
- Hilton HHonorsTM
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Virgin America Elevate
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
I’ve been earning a lot of points on my Citi Prestige Card this year to diversity my points. I have large balances with both Chase and Amex (and several airlines). I prefer transferable currencies but I especially value diversification.
It’s good to see transfer bonuses coming from Citi, but in my view you can get much better value with other transfer partners. My favorite transfer partners are:
- Singapore Airlines which offers their own members much better premium cabin award space on Singapore flights than other Star Alliance frequent flyer program members get, and which has real value United Airlines domestic and Hawaii awards in addition to Star Alliance awards generally.
Singapore Airlines Boeing 777 First Class
Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 Suites Class
- Etihad for their own first class awards.
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles is a valuable oneworld partner with its distance-based award chart. Cathay has talked about making more award space available to members with their own points.