Over the weekend I wrote about benefits of the Citi Prestige Card that are changing or going away later this month, and a rumor that new benefits would be announced.
Here are the changes (devaluations) effective July 23:
- Access to American Airlines Admirals Clubs when flying American
- Elimination of the card’s free golf benefit
- Points will no longer be worth 1.6 cents apiece towards paid American Airlines flights
- Paid travel with points drops for all airlines from 1.33 cents apiece down to 1.25 cents
- Fourth night free hotel benefit will become based on the average room rate during the stay, rather than the cost of the fourth night, and will not rebate taxes
Since the premium rewards card space has gotten far more competitive since Citi announced these changes a year ago, we’ve been waiting for a competitive response. Rumors have been swirling that the announcement would come soon. It appears there is confirmation that changes are indeed coming.
Via udo2c on reddit, Citi is sending out emails which appear to confirm that changes are coming to the Prestige card!
I think it’s fair to say that if all Citibank was doing was cutting benefits, they wouldn’t be ‘celebrating the newly updated card’.
It’s still unclear exactly what the changes will be, whether they will be modest as the rumor suggested or real game changes. But we shouldn’t have to wait long to find out.