Delta, like many other airlines, wants the best customers of competitor airlines. And to make it easier to switch, they offer temporary elite status (a status match) and an expedited path to keep that status (a status challenge).
Right now they want the best customers of competitor airlines a lot more than usual and are doing something creative about it. Their status match offer will give you one level higher than you already have. That temporary status will last longer than usual. And the flights required to keep status are lower than usual, too.
- Enrollment required by October 31 for those who have status with Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, jetBlue, Southwest Airlines or United Airlines
- Delta provides elite status one level higher than current competitor status, including to top tier Diamond status
- Temporary status lasts through March 31, 2021
Here are details and registration. To keep the status through January 22 those who successfully enroll just need:
- Gold: 4 one way flights by March 31, 2021
- Platinum: 8 one way flights by March 31, 2021
- Diamond: 12 one way flights by March 31, 2021
Here’s how competitor elite status with another U.S. airline maps to Delta’s status under this offer:
|Alaska||MVP||MVP Gold||MVP Gold 75K|
|American||Gold||Platinum||Plat Pro Or Higher|
|United||Silver||Gold||Platinum Or Higher|
The offer terms says this is targeted (“Only Members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer”). That may or may not be the case. Platinum and Diamond ‘choice’ benefits aren’t provided during the temporary status period, but will be provided to those who successfully complete the challenge to keep status. It’s expected to take 3-5 business days to process match requests, which involves verifying the credentials used to demonstrate current elite status.
This is a very generous offer, not just because matching includes top tier Diamond status and greatly reduced flying requirements to keep status but also because it doesn’t include any spending requirement whatsoever to keep matched status like Delta’s regular offer does. “Qualifying dollars” are so 2019.