Star Alliance carrier TAP Air Portugal has filed $1 each way base fares between New York JFK and Barcelona with a connection in Lisbon. This translates into roundtrip airfare starting at $168 including all taxes and fees.
If you search a variety of dates through different online travel agency sites you’ll find fares around $188.
However on Skyscanner you’ll find sites selling the same itineraries as low as $168, based on how they’re calculating the taxes and fees on the tickets.
These are actually $1 fares each way, plus a $100 fuel surcharge (which is insane at this point, natch) and taxes.
Key details for fare basis OUSDSI5E:
- Available September 6 through November 28, November 22 through December 15, and December 24 through March 31 of 2021.
- Saturday night stay required
- Free stopover in Lisbon up to 5 days
- End-on-end fare combinations are allowed, if you’re coming from somewhere other than New York
- Tickets are non-refundable with a $300 change fee, which is greater than the cost of the ticket
These fares earn 10% of flown miles with Turkish and with Air Canada, 25% with Lufthansa, but do not earn miles in United’s MileagePlus program.
Just remember to Second is watch your wallet on Las Ramblas.
(notice the young boys peering in)