Airfares have been through the roof, but right now there’s a sale on from several U.S. cities to numerous destinations across Europe – starting at just $298 roundtrip on Star Alliance member (United MileagePlus partner) TAP Air Portugal.
You can fly from Boston, Chicago, Miami, New York JFK, Newark, San Francisco or Washington Dulles (the cities where TAP Air Portugal flies) to their destinations across Europe – like Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Frankfurt, Munich, Rome (or even Porto, Valencia, Malaga, or Bilbao) – for prices ranging from $298 – $398 when sale fares are available. The opportunity was first spotted by Thrifty Traveler‘s airfare deal alert service.
Here’s an example from Boston:
Just how good a deal is this? The cost is almost entirely taxes and fees. The actual airfare? Just $15.50 each way.
Key details of fare basis OUSDSI9E:
- 5 night minimum or Saturday night stay required
- one free stopover in Lisbon or Porto permitted for up to 10 days
- Travel allowed throughout 2023, except March 31 – April 17, July 15 – August 31, December 15 – December 31
- must purchase by January 15, 2023 (but no commitment the fare will last that long)
- $300 change fee, make it effectively non-changeable
- You’ll pay extra for pre-assigned seats and for bags
TAP ‘O’ fares only earn 10% of flown miles when credited to Air Canada Aeroplan or United MileagePlus. They earn 25% of flown miles credited to Lufthansa’s Miles & More.
If you’re interested in business class, TAP Air Portugal often has great business class sale fares. Right now they’re running U.S. – Europe throughout much of their network for less than $2000 roundtrip. For instance,
As Thrifty Traveler points out, when you check out on the TAP Air Portugal website you’ll save a further $20 by opening a TAP Miles & Go frequent flyer account as well (you can still credit the trip to your preferred loyalty program).