News and notes from around the interweb:
- A complaint about the Ronald Reagan statue at the entrance to National airport. The author cites Reagan firing air traffic controllers when they illegally went on strike 40 years ago, and suggests there are better places to move the statue and rename the airport.
I don’t call the airport Reagan largely because I lived in DC for years before it was renamed in his honor. But in suggesting other states for the statue, the piece misses the history of how it wound up there in the first place. Grover Norquist raised a ton of money to name something for Ronald Reagan in every state and DCA was the first victory of this effort.
- U.S. sanctions Ethiopia on trade because “the Ethiopian government has used the country’s flagship commercial airline, Ethiopian Airlines — a key AGOA beneficiary — to shuttle weapons to and from neighboring Eritrea during the course of the war.”
- Nomadic Matt explains why he is done with Airbnb. I don’t like it that hosts cancel on guests and they’re basically just out of luck, I also don’t like hauling out my trash at the end of a stay. I like being able to check in early and check out late because of hotel elite status. The last Airbnb I stayed in had a locked plastic box over the climate control so you couldn’t turn down the air conditioning and cost them electricity charges.
- Business Traveller magazine comes with GHA Platinum status (mid-tier) for a year for £16.49 (HT: Head For Points) Here’s my guide to the new GHA Discovery program and note that they also status match, including to top tier (Titanium).
- This woman used her account to book an Airbnb for a friend – then received a bill for $7000.
Apparently the friend staying in the Airbnb threw one of the couch cushions into the fire, leaving a large, burnt hole in the corner of it. They also got ash everywhere and let their dog do its business anywhere. On top of that, they signed the TikTok creator’s name on the guest list.
[…] other day, I read one of the recap articles from View from the Wing talking about problems with Airbnb. He shared an article from Nomadic Matt who says “It’s Time […]