News and notes from around the interweb:
- Sprint Unlimited free talk, data and text for a year offer has been extended. Unfortunately the free plan no longer triggers American AAdvantage bonus miles.
Copyright: creatista / 123RF Stock Photo
- American Airlines mechanics make the implausible claim that their contract dispute is really about the customer. Their beef is with outsourced maintenance — to shops that do high quality maintenance for commercial airlines around the world, and bear in mind that when maintenance is less expensive airlines can afford more of it. Costly maintenance is what passengers should be nervous about…
- Uber encourages tipping drivers where tipping isn’t customary and gets well-deserved push back
- How Fiji changed the way we travel by using GPS in aviation.
- Gigantic public toilet in China.
This gigantic public toilet in #China can accommodate 2,000 people, and even looks like Gaudi's Park Guell in #Barcelona. pic.twitter.com/7omUJJKyXQ
— SCMP News (@SCMPNews) March 1, 2019
- Commentary on the new galleys that have been installed on legacy American Airlines aircraft.
View this post on Instagram
Dear Atlas, Can we talk? You came into my life late in the game. I didn’t know your “ Rubik’s cube” ways but just a few years ago. You changed my “galley game” feng shui and flying 2 hasn’t been the same. With so many places to put things, it makes life …well, interesting 🤨. It’s like playing jeopardy without the questions. Instead let play can you guess where the coffee pots are today. It would be a way for catering to pay us back …a shell game of sorts. One redeeming quality is you’ve provided me with extra seating in the galley. We’ve gotten used to sitting on your handle. 😐 it’s allowed us to have meetings of the minds solving real life world problems, like galley gossip. So in closing, I’m not in love with you but I’ll learn to manage. The mysteries of your puzzle like ways shall keep me forever aloof. I will always be searching for stir sticks and limes …until we meet again, Aastews 🤓 This picture is everything, @clairenube 😘
Why the AA Mechanics video features an easyjet interior?
Well not so important maybe…
Wrong, the biggest toilet in the world is the Pacific Ocean. That’s where all of Asia’s shit goes, and usually unprocessed.
Why must you use Vulgar language?
My nephew worked his way up from airplane mechanic to BSEE, and he has worked for a variety of the “outsourcing shops” through the years. He continually reiterates that the problems are: 1) the unions keep a tight fist on hiring, and it is practically impossible to get a job with AA/UA/DL…there is an artificial shortage created by the unions (to drive up wages) that the airlines must outsource, and 2) there is an overall shortage of mechanics; it is so bad that mechanics are being recruited from the Phillipines (they learn with Spanish manuals).
Don’t know why more younger people aren’t going into being aircraft mechanics; within 5 years of being hired (and working for 3 different companies, as he was always being recruited) he was making over $100K and being flown around the country for on-call repairs. He dropped out of college to do this and thinks it was the smartest decision of his life.
@DNN are you 12?
Look at those Urinals, see how the pipe goes straight down? That means there probably is no trap to stop the stink gasses from flowing back.
In other words that place is gonna be a terrible smelling gas chamber.
The BBC article about the miracle of GPS ignores the important contribution of the Inertial Navigation System. While not being precise enough to guide an airplane to the final approach (as GPS can at airports covered by an enhanced system) INS was said to provide accuracy within 1/4 mile after a TATL flight.