News and notes from around the interweb:
- How to fall asleep in 120 seconds on a plane or anywhere else. My strategy is just to work every day through to exhaustion so when I close my eyes I am asleep immediately.
- China is destroying Palau tourism because the tiny nation maintains relations with Taiwan
- Why you should use your hotel room key to unlock your door before closing it when you leave the room.
- San Francisco fines Uber instead of issuing tickets to drivers, and Uber deducts the money from driver pay. There’s no way for drivers to appeal, and the airport may be issuing invalid tickets for instance to drivers for failing to display Uber decals when those decals are on the vehicles. (Lyft eats the cost of these tickets.)
- Reminder about how the Marriott-United relationship has changed under the new program. United Golds will only get Marriott’s 25 night status instead of 50 night status. It will take Marriott 75 night status to receive United Silver as before, so all those Starwood Platinums who stayed fewer nights but got United Silver via Marriott status match will lose it next year.
- Drunk groom in tinkerbell dress taken off flight after threatening to cut everyone up. Ryanair, natch.
- Getting connected to locals for a meal in their home when you travel (HT: Kalil D.)