Hyatt launched their earning and redemption partnership with Small Luxury Hotels of the World a year ago. Initially they only brought about 10% of SLH’s 500+ properties into their portfolio.
They followed two months later with another 56 properties or 10% and then 57 more a month after that and a fourth tranche of SLH hotels in May bringing them to over 200 (or roughly 40% of) SLH properties in the portfolio.
Now they’ve added a fifth tranche, putting them at over 250 of the roughly 500 SLH Hotels participating in World of Hyatt.
- There are some incredible hotels
- It adds significantly to Hyatt’s footprint.
Canaves Oia, Santorini
Booking Paid Stays at SLH Hotels
The bread and butter for Hyatt members is in having more redemption options. I don’t find the partnership useful for paid stays.
You earn elite stay credit at participating hotels, but no elite benefits. Booking through Hyatt includes:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Daily Complimentary Continental Breakfast
- Room Upgrade (one category at check-in if available)
- Early check-in (noon, based upon availability at check-in)
- Late check-out (2:00pm, based upon availability at check-in)
However only bookings made through Hyatt channels are eligible for Hyatt points and elite night credit. Hyatt’s best rate guarantee doesn’t apply, and SLH’s own best rate guarantee doesn’t apply.
Booking independent properties direct may yield lower rates than going through a central channel, and in this case you’ll want to even check pricing that SLH.com is offering versus what Hyatt may be offering. There’s no promise Hyatt rates qualifying for points and status credit will be the best rates.
49 New Hotels For Award Redemption
Hyatt adding a new category 8 (40,000 points per night) for the priciest SLH properties. All SLH hotels are included on Hyatt’s category 1-8 award chart, and Hyatt is now the only major chain that still has an award chart which is great for members.
Hyatt points out some of the spectacular new options, including a hotel that has only four beachfront suites.
- Inverlochy Castle, an 19th century Scottish retreat in Fort William, Scotland, with majestic views of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK
- Ka’ana Resort in San Ignaci, Belize, featuring ultra-luxurious private pool villas surrounded by the Maya Mountains
- Calala Island, a private island resort in Nicaragua with just four beachfront suites styled after traditional Caribbean palapa
- Esperanza Resort and Spa in Trakai, Lithuania, an eco-luxury country retreat immersed in forest land and featuring an exotic bird park and Russian bath house on site.
- Point Grace Resort and Spa, a tropical hideaway on 12-mile Grace Bay in Turks & Caicos
- Currently the SLH “Hotel of the Year,” Canaves Oia Hotel in Santorini features suites with private verandas, al fresco dining areas and breathtaking views to the Caldera and the Aegean Sea.
- The recently opened Lefay Resort & SPA Dolomiti stands in the ski area of Madonna di Campiglio and is located in Pinzolo, the largest town in the Rendena valley.
Here are the SLH Hotels that have been added in this 5th tranche:
|SLH Property||City||Country||Award Category|
|Hotel de la Soledad||Morelia||Mexico||3|
|Grand Hotel Yerevan||Yerevan||Armenia||3|
|Dinamo Hotel Baku||Baku||Azerbaijan||3|
|The New Jingli Hotel||Nanjing||China||3|
|Boutique Hotel Villa am Ruhrufer Golf & Spa||Nordrhein-Westfalen||Germany||4|
|Lanson Place Hotel||Causeway Bay||Hong Kong||4|
|Hangzhou Rose Garden Resort & Spa||Zhejiang||China||4|
|Hotel28 Myeongdong||Seoul||South Korea||4|
|Londa Beach Hotel||Limassol||Cyprus||5|
|Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel Spa||Salamanca||Spain||5|
|Villa Le Maschere Resort||Florence||Italy||5|
|The Pillars Hotel||Fort Lauderdale||USA||5|
|Cape Fahn Hotel||Koh Samui||Thailand||5|
|Cape Kudu Hotel||Phang Nga Province||Thailand||5|
|Esperanza Resort & Spa||Vilnius||Lithuania||5|
|Casa Colonial Beach & Spa||Puerto Plata||Dominican Republic||5|
|Villa di Piazzano||Tuscany||Italy||6|
|The Chesterfield Hotel Palm Beach||Palm Beach||USA||6|
|Kasa Hotel Parota||Tulum||Mexico||6|
|The Merchant House||Manama||Bahrain||6|
|Villa Maria Cristina||Guanajuato||Mexico||6|
|Villa Neri Resort||Linguaglossa||Italy||6|
|Noborioji Hotel Nara||Nara City||Japan||6|
|De Witte Lelie||Antwerp||Belgium||6|
|Ka’ana Resort||San Ignacio||Belize||6|
|Hounds Tooth Inn||Oakhurst||USA||6|
|Alpin Royal||St. Johann||Italy||6|
|Grand Hotel Cocumella||Sorrento||Italy||7|
|Hotel ai Reali||Venice||Italy||7|
|Mont Blanc Hotel Village||La Salle||Italy||7|
|Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola||Lugano||Switzerland||7|
|Greywalls Hotel||Gullane||United Kingdom||7|
|Inverlochy Castle||Fort William||United Kingdom||7|
|Lefay Resort Dolomiti||Pinzolo||Italy||7|
|Alex Lake Zurich||Zurich||Switzerland||7|
|Point Grace Resort and Spa||Grace Bay||Turks & Caicos||8|
|Calala Island||Pearl Cays||Nicaragua||8|
|Le Grand Bellevue||Gstaad||Switzerland||8|
|Canaves Oia Epitome||Santorini||Greece||8|
|Canaves Oia Hotel||Santorini||Greece||8|
The Two Downsides to the SLH Partnership
There are two drawbacks to Hyatt’s partnership with SLH as I see them.
- They do not offer a best rate guarantee for SLH Hotels reservations. You have to book through Hyatt to earn World of Hyatt points with your reservation, but should check whether you’re overpaying in order to do so.
- Many of these hotels are expensive redemptions relative to their paid rates. Hyatt even created a new 40,000 points per night category 8 for the top hotels, which often aren’t more expensive than Hyatt’s own properties. I surmise, then, that Hyatt must be paying SLH properties more than comparable Hyatt hotels to compensate for points stays. As a result many properties seem overindexed on the award chart.
It wouldn’t surprise me to eventually see Hyatt’s own most expensive properties creep into category 8 now that it exists, and they’ll say “but it’s only for the small handful of most unique properties, while 99% of hotels remain in category 1-7.” Still, more choices are always better and this does open up some incredible spots for using Hyatt points so there’s no question this is a positive development. Hopefully they’ll continue apace quickly onboarding additional SLH hotels quickly.