I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
News and notes from around the interweb:
- 25% off suites and premium rooms at Kimpton hotels. We keep seeing Kimpton discounting and other promotions, at a time when the hotel industry overall is seeing record occupancy and rates. I don’t think IHG’s acquisition here is working out super well.
- Inside Danny Meyer’s war on tipping I won’t stiff people who depends on tips, but I sure hate the practice. I also hate add-on service charges. What’s worse is tipping included when credit card machines still spit out a tip line. The price should be the price, and the cost of selling the product to you — and paying the people who do so — ought to be included.
- An experience with the Chase Ink Business Preferred Card‘s cell phone protection,
First time I’ve used the cell phone protection coverage (daughter broke her iphone screen). Filed claim online. Received payment by check within two weeks (not too bad), but they only paid the “cost of repair” less deductible ($100). They would not pay for the sales tax that Apple made us pay on top of the $129 repair ($11.93 tax).
- Southwest Airlines is still waiting for ETOPS certification which they need to fly to Hawaii. ETOPS means Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards — or alternatively “Engines Turn or Passengers Swim.”
- American Airlines lets you pre-select ‘special meals’ in addition to the usual choices for a flight. But there may not be as many choices as you think. I’m told the Asian Vegeterian, Hindu, and Muslim meals are all the same items. (Diabetic also goes by ‘bland’ and ‘low fat’ at times and if you see both gluten intolerant and low sodium those should also be the same.)
- Matthew likes United’s breakfast tacos but then he’s not from Austin. Though I suppose breakfast tacos are better than not breakfast tacos.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® Earn 65,000 AAdvantage miles.