Frequent Miler shares an internal Marriott memo on how they’re trying to surprise and delight top tier Ambassador elite members. The Ambassador level now requires spending 100 nights per year with Marriott and spending at least $20,000 which strikes me as unreasonable in some markets and entirely to US-centric for a supposedly global chain with a heavy presence in Asia.
Not all Ambassador members will be targeted for better treatment, and not all of the targeted better treatment will actually be delivered.
- Some Ambassador members on award stays April 22 – July 31 will have the most expensive redemption night of their stay rebated back to their account.
- They’ll also get a letter from their Ambassador (something that really should be happening anyway) and from David Flueck, Marriott’s Senior Vice President of Loyalty
- And hotels are being asked to deliver an elevated amenity, but the cost to do so is on the hotel and there’s no requirement that they actually do this.
In addition starting May 1 targeted elites will receive electronic Marriott gift cards via e-mail.
2019 ELITE THANK YOU GIFT: JOB AID, TALKING POINTS, AND FAQs
Our members mean the world to us. The 2019 Elite Thank You Gift initiative is a company-wide approach to showing our appreciation to our Marriott Bonvoy Elite members.
At your hotel, there are tow parts to this approach:
PART 1: APRIL 22 – JULY 31 (DELIVERED ON PROPERTY)
From April 22 through July 31, this initiative will focus on targeted Ambassador Elite members at their upcoming redemption stays. You will be provided with and asked to print a personalized letter from David Flueck, Senior Vice President of Global Loyalty, and the member’s personal Ambassador, and to deliver that letter directly to the member. This letter will thank the member for their loyalty and let them know that Marriott Bonvoy will be treating them to one night of their redemption stay, crediting points for one night back to their account
- Best Practice: Have the General Manager and/or Loyalty Champion deliver the letter to the Ambassador Elite member.
- Take Note: Not all Ambassador Elite Redemption Stays will be targeted stays.
In addition to this letter, you’re encouraged to deliver a local elevated amenity, e.g., a food or beverage specialty from your region or another local token. We know you’ll have great ideas, so please share your pull-through approach by submitting pictures via the Marriott Bonvoy in Action submission form.
PART 2: BEGINNING MAY 1 (DELIVERED ABOVE PROPERTY)
Beginning May 1, the Marriott Bonvoy team will continue to engage with targeted Elite members, recognizing them with a gift of an electronic Marriott gift card, good to redeem for a future on-property experience. Targeted members will receive these eGift Cards through email. You should follow your hotel’s existing processes to redeem Gift Cards.
It’s something, but the unwillingness of Marriott to actually fund or require their planned elevated amenity means that delivery will often fall short of what the program hopes. And top elites with award stays during the promotion period who aren’t targeted may feel left out. Nonetheless, this is more generous than not doing anything.