News and notes from around the interweb:
- Man goes “full psycho” on United flight to Tokyo, passenger now afraid to fly home.
First time flying united airlines going to Tokyo and 1.5 hours in the flight, guy goes full psycho on the plane. I have a return flight and I’m not sure if I want to fly back, feeling iffy about my flight @united I might see him again on my return .Terrible experience on my first pic.twitter.com/eorLsEaXNn
— Fin (@BenYu604) October 2, 2023
- How Pakistan International Airlines makes money from refugees in New York
PIA still owns 99 per cent shares of [New York’s Roosevelt] hotel while the Saudi prince holds on to one per cent. The airline has leased the hotel to the city for three years, at the rate of about $200 a day for a single room. The city will pay a total of $220 million in three years.
- Guest forced to leave hotel after gunshots came through his window and the property wouldn’t refund him for the rest of his stay. His early check-out also forced him to lose a long-stay discount.
- Bag containing ‘suspicious’ skull shuts down airport baggage screening for nearly 2 hours
- It’s easy to forget how Air Canada did the Lordstown trade with Aeroplan, selling it.. announcing they would terminate their partnership with the new owner… and then buying it back after the value crashed.
If you have a business, and there is a huge bubble for throwing money into that business, then I suppose a good trade is (1) you sell the business into the bubble for a lot of money, (2) you wait until the bubble pops and (3) you buy the business back for a very small amount of money. Now you own the business again, and also you have a lot of money. When the bubbly money-thrower was SoftBank Group Corp., I called this the “Wag trade,” after a literal dog-walking startup that took a bunch of SoftBank money for stock and then gave back much less money for the same amount of stock.
- United’s cabin maintenance consistently seems to be lacking.
— Michael Cherry (@mdcherry1) October 2, 2023
— David Hesketh (@davidghesketh) October 2, 2023
Similar experience just now. pic.twitter.com/34W3Spj4re
— Evelio Vila (@eveliovila) October 2, 2023
- The challenging, but not impossible, task of getting Marriott free nights extended
- GHA Discovery double elite night credits in October and November offer