News and notes from around the interweb:
- Air France workers on trial for assaulting airline executives
- Some people are apparently targeted for a 70,000 mile bonus on the United co-brand.
- Is TSA responding to insanely long lines by not worrying about silly things like shoes and liquids? That’s apparently what some people going through regular (non-PreCheck) lines are reporting.
- A year and a half ago Donald Trump filed a $100 million lawsuit over aircraft noise from traffic patterns around his club Mar-a-Lago. In 2011 the Palm Beach airport manager declared that the only way he could prevail would be to get elected president. A President could order the FAA to redirect air traffic, but Trump says that if elected he would not do this.
- The Maldives will get a new $800 million passenger terminal with Saudi Binladin Group winning the construction contract.
- I miss Concorde. Randy Petersen made it so much easier for frequent flyers to try when he gave out Starwood points as a signup bonus for his magazine. At the time a bit over $1000 in magazines earned enough Starpoints which transferred to Qantas at 1:2 (plus transfer bonuses) — and the Qantas award chart allowed Concorde travel at first class pricing. Of course shortly thereafter Qantas increased the price of premium cabin awards as much as 92%.