American AAdvantage has two banks issuing credit cards to members in the U.S.: Citibank and Barclays. Citibank advertises online, through direct mail, and in American’s club lounges. Barclays advertises in the airport (but not within 100 feet of a club) and on flights.
The useful thing is that both banks issue personal and business cards, you can get all four. Barclays only just introduced the small bueiness American AAdvantage card in the fall and at the time with offering 40,000 miles after first purchase.
It also comes with:
- Double miles on American spend plus office supply stores, telecommunications, and car rentals
- $99 companion certificate on your account anniversary provided you spend $30,000 on the card during the year
- 5% bonus on your total miles earned with the card for the year. So base earning is like 1.05 miles per dollar and bonus earning is 2.1 miles per dollar.
- First checked bag free, preferred boarding on domestic flights, and both apply to up to 4 companions on the same PNR
- 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $25,000 spend during a calendar year
Now via Upon Arriving Barclays has boosted the initial bonus to 50,000 miles which they’re calling a limited-time offer. The card has a $95 annual fee, but no minimum spend requirement to earn the points.
It’s a still-new card and hasn’t ever offered 50,000 miles before though I imagine after this offer ends we’ll eventually see it back.