Bilt Rewards has added Marriott Bonvoy as a points transfer partner. You get 100 Bilt points for linking your accounts, which is standard for Bilt partners.
- Points transfers are 1:1, but transfers of 20,000 Bilt points yield 25,000 Marriott points. This is akin to the old Marriott bonus transferring points to airline partners that’s been on the way out. I consider it a subtweet of sorts, honoring the old Starwood Preferred Guest program where that feature came from (may she rest in peace).
- Transfers are usually near-instant but can take up to 48 hours to post.
Marriott Waikiki Beach
Please do not transfer Bilt points to Marriott just as you shouldn’t transfer them to IHG.
- I value a Bilt point at $0.017 apiece and a Marriott point at $0.006. A one-to-one transfer represents nearly a two-thirds loss in value. Even transferring 20,000 Bilt points into 25,000 Marriott points represents around a 55% loss in value.
- Is it possible at the extreme end to get about a penny per Marriott point? Yes. You can do so much better with Bilt. Indeed, you can book travel through the Bilt portal at 1.25 cents apiece. You’ll give up Marriott elite benefits in the process. Better to use your Bilt points for airfare and pay cash for your hotel stay.
- Today’s the last day of a Marriott 40% bonus on purchased points (similar offers are semi-regular) that lets you buy Marriott points for a penny apiece. Better to use your Bilt points for something else and buy Marriott points if you need Marriott points. And if you want to redeem Bilt for hotel stays you’ll do far better transferring to Hyatt.
In terms of rebate value for hotel stays, Marriott can be strong. It’s just that a single Marriott point isn’t worth much, which is why top elites need to earn up to 17.5 points per dollar without bonuses for the numbers to work. Base earn in the program is 10 points per dollar (for a non-elite) compared to 5 points per dollar from Hyatt. Each Marriott point is just worth less which is why 1:1 transfers to Marriott are low value. That’s true for Bilt transfers and also for American Express and Chase transfers to Marriott as well.
Marriott may be offended by this. Bilt probably won’t like it either. But I’m laying down truth here, and it’s simple math. Marriott points transfers are simply not a good use of Bilt points. You can transfer to Air Canada Aeroplan, United or American, Turkish and more. Anyone paying a little bit of attention can do better than a transfer to Marriott. Bilt points are worth too much to move them to Marriott.
Through November 20, Bilt has increased its referral bonus from 2,500 points to 10,000 points.
In honor of our win at the TPG awards, we’re giving you 10,000 points for every referral! Now is the time to get your friends and family to sign up. pic.twitter.com/YmLv1nYODJ
— Richard Kerr (@KerrPoints) November 7, 2023