News and notes from around the interweb:
- The incredible, flexible Qatar Airways booking offer has been extended and modified slightly.
- New Indian Air Force One
- There’s never been a better time to visit New York City, if you’re not from somewhere requiring you to quarantine on arrival.
And yes, you can find a parking spot in most parts of Manhattan these days, another novelty. Did I mention that my hotel room cost less than a third of what I’ve normally paid?
I visited the Museum of Modern Art, operating under stringent visitor restrictions and with its tourist clientele mostly gone. I had just about every gallery to myself, and thus an unparalleled look at the museum’s masterpieces. If a room had even a few other visitors in it, I moved on and came back later.
The center of the city has moved downtown, to Greenwich Village and surrounding areas. Many streets are closed to cars, and restaurants have put their tables on the sidewalk or the street. Instead of choosing a place on the basis of the food, the menu now just has to be “good enough,” with the key variables being the quality of the seating and the degree of the spacing. I have never seen that part of town feel so alive. The most vibrant single street for both food and socializing was slightly further north in Koreatown, starting at 32nd and Broadway and spreading two blocks to the east.
- American is offering a 25% bonus on transferred Hyatt and IHG points in October. Registration required. If this were available with Marriott points it becomes something to consider, but in general I wouldn’t be tempted.
- In October you can earn 8 Marriott points per dollar on dining at Rewards Network restaurants.
- A furloughed flight attendant believes American Airlines failed her.