News and notes from around the interweb:
- Source says Spirit acquisition talks between JetBlue and Department of Justice fail if that’s true JetBlue must be kicking themselves from walking away from an appeal in the American Airlines partnership case. Surely they were expecting that by dropping that they’d be better-positioned with DOJ to get a Spirit deal done.
- Booking.com will launch a co-brand credit card
- New Taiwanese carrier Starlux is devaluing redemptions already and eliminating free stopovers in Taipei. That’s ok, you’ll probably earn and redeem for Starlux travel with Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan anyway. Still, an odd flex.
NEW: Eastern Airlines intends to launch flights to Wuhan, China (WUH):
• New York (JFK) to Wuhan (WUH) route with a stop in Anchorage (ANC)
• Flights proposed to begin in January 2024
Eastern has now applied for Department of Transportation permission to begin flying JFK-WUH. pic.twitter.com/KmesSSNBEs
— Ishrion Aviation (@IshrionA) September 19, 2023
- Sheraton in Mahwah, New Jersey says it’s closing December 14 – May 31 but it appears that it will actually be torn down.
- Air France KLM, British Airways, and Lufthansa are all interested in buying TAP Air Portugal when the Portuguese government privatizes it.