News and notes from around the interweb:
- The case against Paris.
The Moesha soundtrack on this video dragging Paris is sending me 💀pic.twitter.com/pdYGeSQsl9
— chris evans (@notcapnamerica) July 11, 2023
- Air France no longer allows paid upgrades from business to first class on award tickets
- Chris Isaac, AAdvantage Director, sees inspiration in the Chipotle and Chewy loyalty programs and sees AAdvantage and revenue management having converged. I’d add that the mindset in revenue management he describes of in the past was wrong and that the shift towards a revenue-management mindset in loyalty hasn’t made loyalty better or more valuable.
[M]y first 12 years at American were within revenue management. And at that time, I would completely agree with you. Revenue management and the loyalty program had goals that were very much at odds with each other. And so there were a lot of passionate debates. We, you know, having been on the revenue management side, I remember the days when the loyalty program was thought of as maybe a necessary evil.
We were, we had a very transactional mindset. And so when you have a transactional mindset, you do see a redemption, for example, as just giving away stuff for free or, a part of your product that maybe comes with status as given away for free.
But fast forward many years, and it may surprise you to hear that actually loyalty and revenue management are now in the same organization in American Airlines. So we report to the same senior vice president. And, we have made great strides in actually bringing the thinking together.
So revenue management has moved very much from a transactional view to more of a relationship view. And the loyalty program has adopted some of the thinking of revenue management, understanding what some of the constraints are. And so we work very well together in putting our loyalty program in front of our members.
- BWI Airport a finalist for ‘American’s best restroom’
I mean… pic.twitter.com/sjQNc3xP5E
— Jordan Pascale🎙️ (@JWPascale) July 11, 2023
- Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas resort fee includes notary services, two documents per day. I’d scribble handwritten notes to my wife and have them notarized just for the lolz. And I’d hope that the person on staff who is a notary wasn’t available, and I’d argue that failure to deliver the service meant they couldn’t charge for it…
- New United domestic first class seat has wireless charging
- TSA requiring more random ID checks of CLEAR passengers it’s nice not to have to take out your ID, but this still leaves CLEAR as a way to cut the PreCheck line when the former is longer than the latter (though the CLEAR process takes longer than ID verification in the PreCheck line, so unless CLEAR is substantially shorter it’s not a benefit). Either way you’ll be slowed down by new screening devices.
- Are you cool with this? What would you do?
This girl really kept her bare feet out right next to me on a flight 🤢🥴
What would you do??? pic.twitter.com/Cp5V5cyK4u
— Bri Lewerke (@brilewerke) July 11, 2023