News and notes from around the interweb:
- This could be a loyalty program’s future undoing. This seems like an obvious point but loyalty programs don’t think about it enough. Credit card companies need to get a card in the hands of new customers as quickly as possible, so digital cards are really important – customers are excited about their new approval but excitement wanes and people get distracted by other things in life. (Initial spend bonuses help the card company here, to incentivize early and reputed use.) Ideally they’d have consumers transition their ‘set it and forget it’ purchase settings like Netflix and Uber immediately because that’s when a customer would be most willing to do it.
Airline frequent flyer programs have the same challenge that speed to first engagement after joining is an indicator of lifetime engagement in the program. Some programs offer new member bonuses for joining and transacting with partners quickly. But the biggest programs usually don’t. They may be far too complacent, fat and happy with credit card cash and not doing enough to feed the program’s future success, one member at a time.
- How do I not remember seeing this when it happened several years ago? Amazeballs.
- Pay more money, get less service just after the annual card fee went up we learn that American Express is eliminating e-mail service from its concierge benefit on the Platinum card.
- Frontier calls cops on passengers accused of trafficking her… sister because they’re an interracial family. Oops.
- Air Canada Aeroplan has added Eurowings Discover as an airline partner. It’s owned by Lufthansa Group but isn’t part of Star Alliance. This is their ‘premium leisure’ brand with meals and lie flat business class.
- Queensland, Australia is rolling out a new campaign to encourage tourism which of course you cannot do because borders are closed.
- Or the “Allegiant MD80 Variant”
If they want Americans to be more afraid of the Delta variant they should call it the Spirit Airlines variant
— The Hahadook (@IsMarshallOkay) July 20, 2021