I haven’t spent a great deal of time parsing through the AviancaTaca Lifemiles program yet, I’ve glanced at it occasionally in the past because they frequently offer 100% bonuses on purchased miles (eg here, here, and here.
That deal never quite worked for me with their limited airline partnerships, but now that they’ve joined Star Alliance it’s looking mighty attractive.
- The award chart is pretty reasonable (across the board, but also some sweet spots like North America to Southern Africa for 100,000 miles roundtrip in business class)
- One-way awards are available for half the cost of roundtrip.
- They offer cash and points awards bookings. As long as you have at least 40% of the miles needed for an award in your account, you can buy the difference in miles for US$12.75 per 1000 miles.
- No fuel surcharges on awards
- Online booking of Star Alliance partners
Miles expire after 24 months of inactivity. Star Alliance Gold takes 40,000 miles which is reasonable but it won’t work for many North America-only or flyers who don’t head to South or Central America as they do require you to fly at least 10,000 miles on their own aircraft in order to earn the status.
I’ll be digging into the program in more depth going forward, but am getting myself an account in hopes of a future 100% bonus on purchased points sale.