American Airlines introduced new domestic dinner entrees in November. What they’ve been doing is swapping out menus roughly every year.
Now they’ve revamped their menus again and are rolling out new meals July 10 (lunches appear unchanged at this time). They’re planning to replace unpopular items on a rolling basis. I hope they have several new options in the queue, because none of the items they’re serving sounds the least bit appealing.
- Cycle one: Grilled chicken breast with lemon artichoke risotto or Italian ribbon pasta
- Cycle two: Beef short rib with hatch chili mac or falafel plate
- Cycle three: Grilled chicken with twice baked potato or Three bean chili with polenta cake
- Cycle four: Beef short rib with cauliflower parmesan mash or Southwest pasta.
Grilled Chicken Breast with Lemon Artichoke Risotto; Short Rib with Hatch Chili Mac and Cheese; Grilled Chicken with Twice Baked Potato; Falafel Plate; and Three Bean Chili appear in the existing rotation.
Short rib is celebrated inside American because it reheats well, it’s also cheaper than serving steak. I think I’m forever ruined for American Airlines short rib by the September 2014 – July 2015 US Airways mystery meat dishes.
I genuinely cannot understand serving chili on a plane, though. It’s bad enough this is a pre-flight option at American’s Washington National hub.
In addition the Zoe’s Charcuterie Plate and the Fruit & Cheese plate remain pre-order options as well as special meals.
If you don’t pre-order your meal (only an option if you’re confirmed in first at least 24 hours in advance of the flight, and if you switch flights due to weather or a mechanical you lose your choice) meals orders are supposed to be taken front to back on Eastbound and Southbound flights, and back to front on Westbound and Northbound flights.
Meals come with a side salad (Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinaigrette bulk packed). Flights 1299 miles or longer get an appetizer:
- Cycle one: Chicken entree receives smoked salmon and an ‘everything bagel-seasoned’ potato salad while the pasta receives manchego cheese, asparagus, spicy olives, and piquillo pepper strips
- Cycle two: Beef dish receives old bay seasoned shrimp with horseradish slaw and parsley while the falafel gets burrata, spicy olives, and shredded tomatoes
- Cycle three: Chicken dish gets prosciutto with shredded tomato, cherry tomato, and arugula while the chili gets a Mexican street corn salad with cotija cheese
- Cycle four: The beef dish gets peppadew peppers stuffed with herbed goat cheese, salami, and machego cheese while the vegetarian dish gets burrata with sauteed red and gold peppers and mache
On the whole the appetizers sound more appealing than the entrees.
Dessert is a warmed chocolate chip or snickerdoodle cookie on flights up to 1298 miles; a pre-made ice cream bowl (flight attendant adds gaufrette cookie) on flights up to 2199 miles; or made to order sundae (with hot fudge, butterscotch, berries, whipped cream, pecans as options) or a fruit and cheese plate on flights 2200 miles and up. The pre-made ice cream bowl has caramel cone ice cream for cycles one and two, strawberry for three, and mint chip for four.