There are a lot more first-tier elites than top elites, and more people still who fly a lot but not quite enough to earn status. Here’s an opportunity for those people to have elite status for a small fee. It isn’t a status match offer, no current status is required.
Instead, anyone with a travel credit card can have elite status with Frontier Airlines.
- This is an industry-first as far as I know. It also shows how valuable people with travel credit cards are as customers. They have both the ability and propensity to apply for and get approved for such cards so airlines should want them as customers!
- You enter the first six digits of your card so show that you’re eligible. That’s really interesting, and would have required building a database of rewards credit card BIN numbers. Maybe it isn’t 100% complete but some quick testing shows it does a good job with most popular cards.
Here is the offer for first tier ’20K Elite Status’.
- Instant status valid through September 30, 2023
- Fly 5,000 miles or spend $5,000 on a Frontier Airlines credit card (or any combination of flying and spending to reach that amount) qualifies to keep the status through end of year. (The Frontier card is a great way to earn top tier status, also.)
- The first 2,000 applicants get this offer for $80, after that it’s $199
- Or for $499 you can have 20K status through end of year with no challenge component at all.
Status comes with free seat assignment, extra legroom seats if available at check-in, no fees for carry-on bags and priority boarding.
Frontier is also discounting its All You Can Fly pass to $499, and doing that with status on the airline would unlock tremendous value if you were going to use that.
This isn’t as generous as the status matches Frontier offered in 2020 and 2021 offering a full year of status up to top tier, but I wouldn’t expect that to be repeated. And this doesn’t require having any status at all, which the match certainly did. Both the match offer and this one for travel rewards credit card customers came with a fee to participate – which as I’ve observed in the past is very ‘on-brand’ for Frontier.
The deal is best obviously if you live in a big Frontier Airlines city like Orlando, Denver or Las Vegas. Though it’s also an opportunity to have airline status for the first time for those who don’t already, and perhaps an opportunity to take that status and match it to another airline.