A man on a Delta Air Lines Salt Lake City – Portland flight on Friday removed the plastic covering from the emergency exit handle on his aircraft and tried to pull it. He wasn’t going to actually succeed in opening the exit door of the pressurized cabin, but his unruly behavior got him arrested.
It turns out his goal wasn’t trying to open the exit door at all. The whole thing was a ruse to attract attention,
- He figured that passengers on board would film him, and the footage would go viral
- And they’d be filming him going on an anti-vaccine rant.
The man actually didn’t take the exit door stunt very far. A crewmember told him to “stop touching the handle and move to the rear of the aircraft” and he did. He was “tackled to the ground by nearby passengers.” A flight attendant restored the door to its normal position.
On the ground the
passenger perpetrator explained the whole charade.
[H]e created the disturbance “so other passengers would video record him sharing his personal views,” according to the DOJ release.
…[T]he man is seen shouting, “We’re all being lied to, wake up!” and “The Earth is bleeding, the international community hates the United States of America.”
That’s an extremely creative and extraordinarily stupid way to get your message out.
- It’s high cost. You’re only going to be able to do it one time, and you will face legal process expenses, plus potential fines and jail.
- It’s high risk. You are trusting passengers to record and social share.
- It’s low persuasion. You look like a crazy moron, so your ideas aren’t likely to carry much weight with the average viewer of passenger behaving badly porn.
I imagine the argument goes something like this. The passenger has a very limited social media following themselves. Something something about being de-platformed. And the consequences are worth it for ‘the truth they don’t want you to know.’ But that truth ‘cannot be denied’ and once others hear it ‘the elites’ won’t be able to hold it back any longer. Oddly, it doesn’t actually work out that way.