News notes from around the interweb:
- I joined the Airways podcast to debate Vinay Bhaskara on whether the federal government should bail out the airlines. Here’s our discussion, where we actually manage to find common ground despite starting on opposite sides of the topic.
- Hungary’s Wizz Air says if they pause flights they have cash to last 3 years and won’t be asking for a government bailout. (Use Google translate, HT: fly4free)
- Qantas offers 12 month elite status extension. They’re also ‘standing down’ about two thirds of employees (Australia has a lot of paid leave requirements) and many employees will work in supermarkets which are stretched thin.
- Don’t bail out the airlines in hopes they keep paying their employees, don’t mail out hundreds of millions of checks, just have everyone run up credit and bail out credit card receivables. Amazon Prime For All?
- Tuesday Breeze Airways submitted a new federal filing.
Embraer 195 in Breeze Airways Livery, Credit: Breeze Airways
- Virgin Australia extending elite status by 12 months. Air New Zealand is doing the same.