Apparently they’re not ready to launch a new, exciting different promotion right away because instead of ending double points August 31 they’re extending it a week. To September 9. This gives them Labor Day and the first days back after, which are traditionally weak business travel nights. Registration is required of course (though since this is an extension of an existing promotion if you’ve already registered you’re fine).
Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Double points are nice, and helps make up for that Hilton reduced points earning for base members and Silvers this year.
Lucky from One Mile at a Time says “Hilton Honors is the program that most consistently offers excellent global promotions for members.”
- I’ll grant that Hilton has been running the most lucrative promotions of the major hotel chains.
- But that’s only because of how weak the promotions from the other major chains have been.
- Calling double base points an excellent global promotion is precisely what George W. Bush meant by ‘the soft bigotry of low expectations’.
In addition to letting me know about the promotion extension, Hilton also shared an offer for up to 7500 bonus points on car rentals through the end of the year with Alamo, Enterprise, and National Earning is as follows:
- 1 day rental = 1000 points
- 2 day rental = 1500 points
- 3 day rental = 2000 points
- 4 day rental = 2500 points
- 5 days or more = 7500 points
However since Hilton Honors is an inflated currency, I find each point to be worth 2/5ths of a cent, this is worth $4 back on a one day rental. You may do better with other offers.
I find I rent cars so much less frequently than I used to. I rent cars in South Florida. I rent a car if I’m headed to Napa. But most places I go I’ll just Uber or Lyft. That’s why I feel like Silvercar is a little late to the party, they offer a more enjoyable rental experience but it’s a service I just use less often.