I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Hyatt announced both a new and very lucrative promotion, along with an extension of a great points-redemption offer. You can get up to 25% back when redeeming points, and you’ll be able to earn up to quadruple points on Hyatt stays while also earning elite status credit both in the fourth quarter of 2020 and having those stays also count in 2021 as well. That’s some generous, lucrative thinking on the part of Hyatt.
Extending Rebate On Points Redemptions And Free Parking
Back in July Hyatt introduced a discount on award redemption, perfect for leisure stays in a difficult economy. And you can stretch your points even more than in most years – up to 25% off.
All members receive a 15% rebate on redemptions. World Of Hyatt Credit Card and Hyatt Credit Card cardmembers receive an additional 10% rebate, for a total of 25% back.
The rebate was supposed to end with stays October 8, Hyatt is extending this – along with free parking on award stays (plus free parking on eligible paid stays for Globalists), and triple points on hotel dining when not a hotel guest – through January 4, 2021. The registration deadline has been extended to December 1 (register if you do not have a Hyatt co-brand card, register if you have the card).
Earn Triple Or Quadruple Points, Up To 25.5 Points Per Dollar
Hyatt has also shared details of its fourth quarter promotion: triple points beginning with your first stay from October 1, 2020 through January 4, 2021, while co-brand cardmembers earn quadruple points at 350 resort locations. These offers apply to Hyatt brands and to participating partner properties such as MGM and Small Luxury Hotels.
- Base earning is 5 points per dollar
- Triple points is 15 points per dollar, quadruple points at resorts for cardmembers is 20 points per dollar
- Plus elite bonuses, Globalists earn 1.5 bonus points per dollar
- And points paying your bill with a rewards card, the World Of Hyatt Credit Card earns 4 points per dollar on Hyatt spend
Globalists with a Hyatt co-brand credit card earn 25.5 points per dollar on resort stays in the fourth quarter.
Based on my valuation of Hyatt points at 1.4 cents apiece this is about a 36% rebate on Hyatt stays, before factoring the value of elite benefits on those stays.
Even at just triple points though this is lucrative, plus get a head start earning elite status next year.
Double Dip Elite Qualifying Nights
During this promotion period elite nights will count both in 2020 and in 2021. During the promotion elite qualifying nights from stays (not from credit card spend) earn a night both in the year in which it’s earned and a bonus night credited towards earning status in 2021. Stays October 1 through December 31, 2020 earn 1 night in 2020 and 1 night in 2021. Stays with checkouts January 1 – 4, 2021 earn 2 qualifying nights for 2021.
That means you can work on earning status in 2020 for use in 2021 and on earning status in 2021 for use from the time you qualify through the end of the 2022 status year at the same time. That way you’re getting a bonus, and for those who already have elite status that’s been extended next year the elite nights during the fourth quarter aren’t wasted. Put another way, Hyatt is ensuring that having granted status extensions doesn’t serve to make elites brand agnostic for end of year stays.
Registration, which isn’t yet available, will have to be completed by November 30, 2020. And stays booked prior to the promotion for check out between October 1 and January 4, 2021 will qualify, without rebooking.
Hyatt’s Been Consistently The Most Aggressive With Offers
I love the aggressiveness. Hyatt is pushing levers on a variety of fronts to put heads in beds and encourage activity with the loyalty program and its partners. Hyatt is offering free cancellation for most stays through July 2021 making booking with them low risk.