I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
News and notes from around the interweb:
- Lots of folks shared this Bloomberg piece on why so many new hotels – about 1000 – have been opening during the pandemic. Hotel owners already have the land and the construction, they’re on the hook for mortgage and property tax expenses. It comes down to ‘capital-intensive industries have high fixed costs and lower marginal costs’ so while a new hotel is a bad investment right now, once you’ve got one you might as well open it – if you can cover the payroll and extra supplies and utilities.
- Some people think the TSA is so effective that it should become a public health agency too.
- United Airlines drops craft beer from premium cabins come on, you know this cost cutting was coming even before the pandemic, right?
- Delta co-brand American Express cards have new limited-time spending rewards you can register for.
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express and Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express earn 4x at restaurants (including takeout and delivery) and 5x on Delta Purchases. Register
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express; Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express; Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express; Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express earn 5x on Delta purchases plus 500 bonus miles and bonus elite qualifying miles after $1000 in purchases on the card (not including purchases made from authorized user cards on the account). Register by selecting the Amex Offer in your online account.
- 25% bonus transferring Citibank ThankYou Points to Avianca LifeMiles by September 18. It appears that LifeMiles is funding the bonus, as a way of getting Citi purchasing more miles from them.
- New York City may begin pulling homeless out of its hotels