I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
In 2013 Hyatt and MGM entered in a partnership, and MGM Resorts stays in Las Vegas counted towards Hyatt status.
- MGM has a lot of hotels across price points. Some, like Excalibur, are very cheap.
- And they’re even cheaper midweek.
- You could check in using their mobile app, without ever being in Las Vegas.
- And earn Hyatt nights easily, quickly and cheaply.
When the MGM-Hyatt partnership was announced as ending (a move I predicted a year earlier), one of the first changes before it actually ended was to prevent guests crediting an MGM stay to Hyatt from checking in using the MGM mobile app.
I’ve heard from several people wondering what their next-best path to earn Hyatt Globalist will be, since they can’t credit cheap Excalibur stays to Hyatt (without actually traveling anywhere) going forward.
Thank you for 3 years of Globalist https://t.co/od4IGSEE08
— Amol (@PointsToPointB) October 16, 2023
People go to great lengths to earn Hyatt status because guests earning 60 elite nights per year:
- Earn 4 confirmed suite upgrades valid for up to 7 nights apiece, to book a suite when reserving a regular room (2 of these are actually earned at 50 nights)
- Earn a category 1-7 free night
- Receive a concierge to work with on all things related to Hyatt
- Also earn a category 1-4 free night (at 30 nights)
- Plus 5,000 bonus points or $100 Hyatt credit (at 40 nights)
And Globalist status gets 4 p.m. late check-out at non-resort properties (where it’s only subject to availability) and the breakfast benefit is ‘real’ in that it actually defines what a hotel has to provide, meaning where there’s no club lounge breakfast it’s a full buffet or entree and coffee or tea and juice, inclusive of tax and gratuity. Hotels aren’t allowed to just offer a continental breakfast or play games like with Hilton and Marriott (though some still do).
Marriott was supposed to replace Hyatt as MGM’s partner this month but that’s been put off. It seemed like an aggressive timetable to begin with, and have to speculate that the MGM data breach which shut down their systems for an extended period likely trumped making progress on the Marriott partnership. Here’s what Marriott has to say about timing,
Our two companies are excited to deliver world-class offerings and benefits for our guests. We look forward to debuting MGM Collection with Marriott Bonvoy by early 2024.
It will be interesting to see whether ‘phantom stays’ at Excalibur as a means to earn Marriott status will eventually be part of what’s possible when it finally goes live.
In the meantime, those on a quest for Hyatt still will want to look seriously at their credit cards.
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card awards 5 qualifying night credits toward your next tier status every year and also earns 2 qualifying night credits towards your next tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card. You receive a category 1-4 free night each year for having the card, and another after $15,000 spend in each cardmember year.
- World of Hyatt Business Credit Card currently has a bonus of up to 75,000 points: 60,000 Bonus Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Additionally, earn 15K Bonus Points after you spend $12,000 in the first 6 months.
You’ll receive up to $100 in Hyatt statement credits – spend $50 or more at any Hyatt property and earn $50 statement credits up to two times each anniversary year.
And the value here is the role the card plays in elite status: 5 Tier-Qualifying night credits toward status and Milestone rewards for every $10,000 you spend in a calendar year.
Fare thee well Excalibur phantom stays, you will be missed by many.