News notes from around the interweb:
- War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and nearly $60 billion in federal dollars earmarked for the airline industry isn’t a ‘bailout’ according to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin.
- 10 cruise ships are sailing around, not permitted to dock
- Business travel site TripActions – not booking much business travel right now – fired 100 people via videochat.
- American Airlines planned capacity reductions:
Entity Capacity: April YoY Capacity: May YoY Domestic Down 60-70% Down 70-80% International Down 80-90% Down 80-90%
- If you’re wondering how the US became the country with the most novel coronavirus cases in the world, it was bureaucrats at the CDC and FDA who blew it,
America’s chance to contain the coronavirus crisis came and went in the seven weeks since U.S. health officials botched the testing rollout and then misled scientists in state laboratories about this critical early failure. Federal regulators failed to recognize the spiraling disaster and were slow to relax the rules that prevented labs and major hospitals from advancing a backup.
Scientists around the country found themselves shackled as the disease spread….The nation’s public health pillars — the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration — shirked their responsibility to protect Americans in an emergency like this new coronavirus, USA TODAY found in interviews with dozens of scientists, public health experts and community leaders, as well as email communications between laboratories and hospitals across the country.
The result was a cascading series of failures now costing lives.
- We’re all working from home, here’s what it’s like when a flight attendant works from home (mildly amusing)