Marriott’s new promotion (registration by November 28, 2021 required) offers:
- 1500 bonus points per stay
- plus 3000 additional bonus points per stay at all-inclusive resorts
- valid for stays September 14 – December 12, 2021.
This promotion seems extraordinarily weak, outside of moderately-priced one night stays. Base earning inn the Marriott program is 10 points per dollar. So using a baseline of ‘double points’ as the bare minimum promotion to expect,
- this offer is equivalent to spending $150 on a hotel stay.
- there are very few stays more than one night where the promotion will be equal to let alone better than double points.
- since all-inclusive stays tend to be longer, any all-inclusive where you’re spending more than $450 (e.g. 3 nights @ $150/night) you’re getting less than double points.
Hilton, in contrast, will be offering double points (triple for co-brand cardmembers) for a longer period of time. Although Marriott’s basic level of earning is richer than Hilton’s and matched only by Hyatt. And unlike Hyatt, bonus points are only awarded on paid stays (not redemption stays, even though Marriott redemptions often include a substantial paid component in the form of a resort of destination fee).
Regardless you should register now just in case you wind up with a Marriott stay during the promotion period – because you’ll never remember to register later when it turns out you do have an unexpected stay, and because more points are better than fewer points.
(HT: Bill S.)