News and notes from around the interweb:
- Don’t get hit with Uber vomit fraud always check your e-receipts.
- 1Password has a new travel mode so you don’t have to cross borders with passwords stored on your devices
- British Airways cabin manager/porn actor was suspended for selling sex during layovers
- Will a Gulf carrier take over Star Alliance member South African Airways? About four years ago, before Etihad walked away from subsidizing basket case airlines like Alitalia and air berlin in order to shift some of their traffic through its Abu Dhabi hub, there was a decent amount of speculation that they’d invest in South African Airways. But SAA was too much of a mess for even Etihad’s deep pockets at the time, and the carrier has burned through government subsidies and turnaround efforts in the meantime instead.
There were new reports that Emirates and Etihad were in talks to take a stake in the troubled African carrier. It seemed far afield from Emirates’ business plan, and so four years ago for Etihad which is now halving its cargo fleet in addition to cutting costs and pulling out of commercial routes. Emirates is now ruling out the idea.
- Turkish Airlines had entered into a catering agreement with Singapore-based SATS for the new Istanbul airport. They’re dumping that agreement and launching a joint venture with Do & Co instead.
- Southwest Airlines joins United in support of DACA