News and notes from around the interweb:
- New business ventures help Canadian snowbirds circumvent a closed U.S. land border
The Quebec company flies snowbirds on a chartered plane from an airport just outside Montreal to nearby Plattsburgh, N.Y. KMC employees also drive the snowbirds’ vehicles to the Plattsburgh airport so, after landing, the passengers can continue their journey down south.
“It was great to — from the plane — see our RV down there, just waiting for us,” said Loiselle.
- I know that American Airlines terminated 30% of management and support staff, I guess that’s why we get terms and conditions like this one and now the terms of the upgrade offer says they serve Paige Field in Fort Myers? That’s not even a commercial airport… It’s like they’ve got someone just Googling for airports now.
- Thailand adds a new $10 tourism fee, $1 of which is meant to cover health care if tourists get sick. Normally when you tax something you get less of it, but there’s not much further lower that tourism can go. (HT: Don G.)
- Capital One fined for failing to snitch to the government on what customers did with their money
- Uber wasted $100 million on useless digital ad campaigns They were basically getting defrauded by their ad networks. The thread:
The biggest story in tech no one’s talking about is Uber discovering they’d been defrauded out of $100M – or 2/3 of their ad spend.
And all bc Sleeping Giants kept bugging them to block their ads on Breitbart. pic.twitter.com/SiS3MndewS
— Nandini Jammi (@nandoodles) January 3, 2021
- Goldman Sachs will become issuer of the General Motors credit card adding to Apple in its portfolio.
Most digital ad dollars are wasted. And it’s not all fraud. Digital ads are often ineffective. Negative ROAS. Unknown brand safety, who knows if your ad was just shown next to an insurrectionist’s call to arms or next to a guy bragging about his large wenis.
Nice to see entrepreneurs make a buck helping those Canadians live their lives. Of course, from a public health standpoint, it would make far more sense for the Canadians and Americans to simply allow these RVers to drive themselves across the border for zero dollars.
FMY is the ATPCo code for Fort Myers
@Arlington for all the other airports American uses IATA codes
The American thing reminds me of seeing the South Georgia Islands listed in ANA’s award chart regions.
There are no airports in the South Georgia Islands.