A week and a half ago I wrote about leaks that Lufthansa would change how their elite status is earned in 2021. That’s now confirmed. Via You Have Been Upgraded Lufthansa has mailed out letters to some customers teasing the changes they’ll be making.
- Points replace status miles. (Joint-venture partner United just did this and points was a euphemism for ‘money’)
- Status lasts one year instead of two years.
- Lufthansa Group airlines will count more towards status than partners. United did this, too, and I’d bet that flights with United count in a similar fashion because of the joint venture.
- A lifetime elite status program will be formalized
- Elimination of Status Stars because those benefits are ‘complicated’
Copyright: jremes / 123RF Stock Photo
Here’s the letter:
As our guest you are at the heart of our thoughts and actions. We want to make travelling as personal, simple and pleasant as possible for you, so every one of your journeys becomes a positive experience. That is our aspiration for our new, modern premium concept.
Our status programme only met this requirement to a limited extent in recent years. Your wishes for simplification also reached us more and more frequently. We have therefore set out to revise our frequent flyer programme for you. In future, you will not have to spend a lot of time figuring out rules or asking yourself how to achieve your status. You will be able to concentrate solely on what is important to you and enjoy your journey.
Today, we would like to take this opportunity to share the initial details about our frequent flyer programme with you. Here arte the most important new features you can expect from January 2021:
– How to achieve status will become more transparent – a comprehensible points system will replace the status miles.
– Your trust in us will pay off – status will primarily be achieved through flights with our airlines.
– Loyalty will be rewarded – there will be lifetime Frequent Traveller and Senator status for loyalty over many years.
– The period of validity will be changed – your status will be active for at least one year in future.
– The structure will become clearer – we will say goodbye to complicated elements such as Status Stars.
These changes will apply to flights form 1 January 2021. You will find detailed information at www.miles-and-more.com/frequent-flyer
We look forward to travelling with you again soon.
Could Miles & More get any worse if they tried? They moved to revenue-based mileage earning a year and a half ago. They devalued their award chart this year. And they have plans to move to dynamic pricing of awards.