I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Star Alliance member Avianca LifeMiles has Star Alliance Asia awards on sale. There are discounts up to 48% — with US-Asia awards in business and first class up to 20% off on designated routes.
This discount is available for bookings made by September 18 though you can travel any time in the future through end of schedule.
That’s super useful because LifeMiles frequently sells miles cheap, and because they are also a Citibank Thank You Rewards transfer partner.
- Citi ThankYou® Premier Card has a best-ever offer of 60,000 points after $4000 in purchases on the card within your first 3 months of account opening. It has a $0 annual fee the first year, $95 thereafter. It earns 3 points on travel (including gas), 2 points on dining and entertainment, 1 point on other purchases. [Offer expired]
- LifeMiles is running a purchase miles bonus up to 125%, and One Mile at a Time an extra 15% bonus on top — you have to register for that bonus and wait 24 hours before making your purchase.
Register by September 17, purchase by September 18, and you can buy miles for as little as 1.375 cents apiece.
Here are the US – Asia routes that are discounted and how LifeMiles describes the discounts: (.pdf)
Los Angeles – Seoul and New York JFK – Seoul are offered non-stop on Asiana which generally has amazing award availability in premium cabins. Here’s a snapshot from a week ago:
Booking Asiana first class for 72,000 miles means paying less than the normal price for first class. It’s amazing.
Non-stop award space to Beijing on Air China is fantastic, especially from the West Coast as well.
Key terms and conditions:
- The redemption of miles for air tickets is valid only through LifeMiles.com and the Avianca Call Center.
- Call Center and LifeMiles.com only accept international credit cards as a form of payment.
Applicable taxes are not included and must be paid when making the redemption.
- A service fee per ticket is charged for redemptions made on Avianca Call Centers LifeMiles.com and must be paid at the time of the redemption. Redemption fee from $ 25 up to $ 80 + taxes, depending on the route redeemed, plus a late redemption fee of $ 40 + taxes also applies, if the ticket redemption is made 14 or less days prior to departure.
- Redemption dates: between August 30th and September 18th, 2018.
- Seats are limited, and may not be available on all flights and/or dates. Subject to availability of class X, class O and class I.
- Valid only for flights on STAR ALLIANCE airlines.
- The millage showed on the table is for one way trips.
- Date changes are permitted with the respective service charge.
(HT: One Mile at a Time)