Singapore Airlines flies flagship routes from Singapore, while it has SilkAir as its lower cost cousin (and its owned by not really related low cost carrier Scoot hangs out at Changi airport as well).
You can use Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles to redeem for flights on Singapore Airlines. You can also use partner airline miles (like United, Aeroplan, or LifeMiles) to redeem on Singapore as well — sort of. Singapore Airlines long haul premium cabin awards are pretty exclusively reserved for Singapore’s own members. You can fly Singapore economy with partner miles, and short haul business class as well.
You can use Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles to fly their short- and medium-haul cousin SilkAir. However you cannot use Star Alliance miles for that. SilkAir is a separate airline, and it’s not a member of the Star Alliance.
Copyright: tang90246 / 123RF Stock Photo
That means if you have Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles you can fly beyond Singapore to Darwin or Cairns in Australia, Siem Reap in Cambodia, about 8 destinations in China and 9 in India, and many more (like a dozen airports in Indonesia).
Fortunately Singapore Airlines loves the U.S. bank money, and their KrisFlyer program is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guest.
And they regularly discount awards, including right now a 50% off promotion for bookings made through July 11 to 53 destinations across the airline’s network when traveling July 1 through October 31.
Bookings must be made online, and the discount applies automatically. Different destinations are available in economy and in business class, and discounts apply to one way redemptions as well as roundtrips. Redemptions start at just 3750 miles for Malaysian destinations in economy.
There are no fuel surcharges on Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer awards redeemed on Singapore or SilkAir, and though award chart pricing increased somewhat that means the discount is even greater than before from a 50% off sale.
Terms and conditions:
Terms and Conditions
1. The promotion is only applicable for online redemption of Saver Awards in Business and Economy Class on selected SilkAir operated flights. Eligible bookings can only be made through singaporeair.com. This promotion is not available through KrisFlyer Membership Services, SIA Ticket Offices, travel agents, SilkAir.com, or any other channels.
2. To qualify for the promotion, tickets must be issued between 12 June – 11 July 2017, for travel between 1 July – 31 October 2017, all dates inclusive. All travel must be completed by 31 October 2017. If any part of the itinerary falls outside the applicable travel period or contains an ineligible flight, the entire itinerary will not be eligible for the promotion.
3. Any change is strictly not permitted for bookings made under this promotion. Cancellation is also not permitted for partially used tickets.
4. This promotion cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion.
5. Taxes and fees are applicable in addition to the required redemption mileage and paid for separately by the passenger in the applicable currency.
6. The discount level is only applied on the number of KrisFlyer miles required for a Business Class Saver or Economy Class Saver award ticket. It does not apply to commercial tickets purchased with part miles, part cash. Taxes and fees are separately charged and payable and are not subject to any discount.
7. All redemptions are subject to seat availability at the time of booking.
8. KrisFlyer and SilkAir terms and conditions apply.
9. KrisFlyer and SilkAir reserve the right to change the eligible destinations, flight numbers and travel dates, without prior notice.
10. KrisFlyer and SilkAir reserve the right to vary these terms and conditions or terminate this promotion without prior notice at their own sole discretion.
11. For enquiries, please contact KrisFlyer Membership Services.