News and notes from around the interweb:
- American Express sues the Weinstein Company for $1.3 million in unpaid bills
- The Onion: Delta pilot refuses to land until gun control legislation is passed
- I offered a justification for why Delta hires so many lobbyists and gives out elite status to politicians and why they want fuel tax subsidies in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution,
Gary Leff, who writes the blog View From the Wing, noted that airlines are intertwined with governments on many levels, so they must play that game. Also, he noted, Delta execs are “tough negotiators. They don’t leave much on the table with anybody. Forty million here, 40 million there, pretty soon you have real money.”
- Southwest has raised its drink prices. I’m still bitter that they expired my drink coupons that had no expiration date.
- Two teens stowed away in the landing gear of Latam Airlines flight XL1438 from Guayaquil to New York on Monday and fell to their death during takeoff. I have a really hard time feeling that anyone who wants it that badly shouldn’t be allowed to come here, and it shouldn’t require putting one’s life on the line either.
- Members of the band Pussy Riot found after being disappeared in Crimea
- Kansas City TWA Museum has several new exhibits I didn’t know this place existed and will put this on a list to visit for sure.
- Most doctors won’t identify themselves inflight