News notes from around the interweb:
- Hyatt is increasing the award category of one hotel. I like that they’re transparent about this. Hyatt Place Ocean City Oceanfront will go from category 4 to 5 effective June 4, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. Central.
Any bookings made prior to that will be at 15,000 points, and can be made using category 1-4 free night certificates.
- Thermal imaging as security theater
- Hawaiian resident accused of being a tourist violating quarantine
- World airline lobby shop IATA (which used to garner much respect) is complaining about lack of airline bailouts in Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. The largest subsidies have gone to U.S. airlines.
- Postponed vacation tears wine glass (HT: Paul H.)
- Companies are negotiating two hotel rates a fixed rate and a discount off prevailing market. That way the fixed rate is a cap, but they still benefit from price drops.
- How COVID-19 will change business travel