Inside a Flight that Caught Fire Yesterday When a Battery Charger Exploded

An Aeroflot Airbus A320 from Moscow Sheremetyevo to Volgograd had just landed yesterday after its 577 mile flight when one of the economy seats caught fire following the explosion of a battery charger.

There’s video from inside the aircraft where passengers appear to be calm, but some on the plane reported chaos and some passengers evacuated down emergency slides.

In the video you can see a crew member use a fire extinguisher, and it appears that a passenger offers up a bottle of water to douse the flames.

The phone reportedly belonged to a Chinese passenger. Both Apple and Samsung phones in China have reportedly caught fire, there are frequent reports of knock off versions of branded phones and those may not be manufactured to the same standards. However at this point there’s no indication that’s the cause of this incident.

About Gary Leff

Gary Leff is one of the foremost experts in the field of miles, points, and frequent business travel - a topic he has covered since 2002. Co-founder of frequent flyer community, emcee of the Freddie Awards, and named one of the "World's Top Travel Experts" by Conde' Nast Traveler (2010-Present) Gary has been a guest on most major news media, profiled in several top print publications, and published broadly on the topic of consumer loyalty. More About Gary »

More articles by Gary Leff »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *