I receive compensation for content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as is American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write about all credit cards that are available -- instead focusing on miles, points, and cash back (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Terms apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Several banks in Canada and around the world offer cards that are a notch higher — Visa Infinite — but it hasn’t taken hold in the US. I vaguely recall that US Bank used to offer a Stratus card that was Visa Infinite. Now there’s a Visa Infinite US card. I wrote about it back in May.
What I first learned from Rene’s Points is that the card is now available with a 100,000 point bonus after $5000 spend within 90 days. Application link (.pdf) Per Rene, send it to Michael Thomas, Michael.Thomas -at- cnb.com.
Doctor of Credit says City National Bank only has branches in New York, Deleware, Georgia, Tennessee, Nevada and California — and may limit cards to individuals who live in those states although some have been able to e-mail applications from elsewhere and get approved.
When I reviewed the card in May I discovered the following benefits:
The card comes with:
- Priority Pass Select membership for lounge access, including two free guests per visit (like Citi Prestige)
- Triple points on travel and dining (which includes “airlines, hotels, taxis, limousines, rental cars, trains, buses, gas, restaurants, fast food and takeout food dining establishments”). Searching through the airfare search tool you should get between 0.9 and 1.1 cents per point on tickets.
- $250 per card airline fee credit each year
- Global entry enrollment fee credit
- The rental car collision damage waiver is secondary (so not as good as what’s offered by Chase Sapphire Preferred whose coverage is primary), only valid for rentals up to 15 days inside the U.S., and doesn’t provide coverage in Israel, Jamaica, Ireland, or Northern Ireland.
- National Car Rental Executive status (which American Express Platinum also offers)
- $100 off domestic airline reservations for 2-5 passengers, when booked through the cardmember portal at myvisainfinite.com/cnb
- Fast track to Relaix & Chateau Club 5C status after 2 nights in 12 months
The card is $0 the first year, $400 thereafter and additional cardholders are fee free.
It’s pretty awesome as a ~ $1000 value signup bonus and no fee the first year. However it’s not yet clear what their approval criteria will be as City National is interested in signing up high net worth individual accounts.