News and notes from around the interweb:
- Via Milepoint, Accor Hotels has a Facebook quiz where youcan earn 500 points a week for 4 weeks. 2000 points are worth $60 towards a hotel stay, some folks will use that to cover on-property charges during their 40% off Sofitel stays, and where they’ve obtained instant top tier elite status. 2000 points also convert to 1000 frequent flyer miles.
- American is asking the bankruptcy court for an extra 30 days to file their reorganization plan. That would give them until January 28th. The hearing is scheduled for 10am Eastern time.
- Meanwhile, American’s third quarter financial results are in. They have five billion in cash on hand, revenue per seat mile are up (presumably driven by industry-wide higher yield, strategic cuts in their schedule as part of reorganization, as well as recent cancellations). No data in their release on costs, one hopes that the bankruptcy process is bringing those down. They claim the recent pilot disruptions haven’t had a material affect on their finances, but I wouldn’t have expected them to by end of September. The question is the impact on forward bookings, but things seem to be settling down so hopefully it will be a blip at most come the end of the current quarter.
- Frequent Miler reviews the new American Express Bluebird prepaid card.
- Relatedly, Mommy Points has tips for handling bumps in the road using reloadable prepaid cards.